Saturday, June 11, 2022

THE BROADWAY MUSICALS YEARBOOK 1966 (RADIO)


 

“The Broadway Musicals Yearbook” will be heard on Artsound FM 92.7 at 5pm on Sunday 12 June and repeated at 11pm on Monday 13 June.  The show is produced and narrated by Len Power, Canberra theatre critic, music critic and radio presenter.

This week – the musicals of 1966

Broadway had three now legendary musicals open in 1966 – ‘Sweet Charity’ with Gwen Verdon, ‘Cabaret’ with Joel Grey and ‘Mame’ with Angela Lansbury.  There was also ‘The Apple Tree’, ‘It’s A Bird, It’s A Plane, It’s Superman!’, ‘I Do! I Do!’ and Duke Ellington’s only Broadway musical, ‘Pousse-CafĂ©’.

You’ll hear songs from these shows and others including ‘Big Spender’ (‘Sweet Charity’), ‘My Cup Runneth Over’ (‘I Do! I Do!’), ‘What Makes Me Love Him’ (‘The Apple Tree’), ‘Wilkommen’ (‘Cabaret’) and ‘If He Walked Into My Life Today’ (‘Mame’).

Performers include Gwen Verdon, Norman Wisdom, Angela Lansbury, Barbara Harris, Joel Grey, Linda Lavin, Michael Feinstein, Robert Preston and Mary Martin. 

Listen Now: https://artsound.fm/shows/the-broadway-musicals-yearbook/